CBMM maintains historic vessels the way they were intended to be used and seen—afloat on the water. They are representative of many of the vessels that were developed and used on the Chesapeake Bay. These rare survivors represent some of the last of their types.
Bufflehead, 2014 Log canoe
Adapting the lines from an 1893 Robert D. Lambdin canoe in the museum’s collection, CBMM shipwrights, apprentices, and volunteers began working on the new, sailing log canoe in the fall of 2014. The hull was constructed from three, 26-foot local loblolly pine logs, with the canoe and its spars constructed in full public view.
Built: 2014, St. Michaels, Md., by CBMM staff
Length: 23 ft, 10 in (7.26 m)
Beam: 4 ft, 5 in (1.35 m)
Delaware, 1912 River Tug
Delaware, a tugboat built in Bethel, De., is a rare example of a typical early 20th century wooden river tug. Built in 1912 by William H. Smith, it may be one of two survivors of the notable boatyard. Delaware hauled scows often laden with lumber and towed ram schooners up and down the Eastern Shore’s narrow, winding rivers. Delaware was donated to CBMM in 1991 by Bailey Marine Construction, Inc.
Built: 1912, Bethel Del., by William H. Smith
Length: 39 ft, 8 in (12.13 m)
Beam: 11 ft, 4 in (3.47 m)
Dorothy lee, 1934 Hoopers Island dovetail
Dovetail boats were built in the early 1900s with gasoline engines and a special stern that looked like a motor racer. Dorothy Lee was built in 1934 for oyster tonging and trotlining for crabs, and was donated to CBMM in 2016 by Susan Friedel.
Built: 1934, Bishops Head, Md., by Bronza Parks
Length: 41 ft, 2 in (12.56 m)
Beam: 8 ft, 2 in (2.56 m)
Edmeé S., c. 1934 Log Canoe
Edmeé S., originally named Cecelia Mae, was built in the early 1930s by Oliver Duke of Royal Oak, Maryland, who built several other racing log canoes in the 1930s and 1940s. The log canoe raced only a few times and was later used as a boatyard workboat. In 1980 Edmeé S. was returned to racing condition and new owner William Combs renamed the canoe for his wife, Edmeé Schaefer Combs.
Built: c. 1934 by Oliver Duke
Length: 31 ft, 7 in (9.63 m)
Beam: 7 ft, 7 in (2.31 m)
See more photos of Edmeé S.
Edna e. lockwood, 1889 bugeye
Edna E. Lockwood, a National Historic Landmark, and the oldest sailing log-bottom bugeye, was built in 1889 by John B. Harrison of Tilghman Island. Just as Native American dugout canoes were formed by carving out one log, a bugeye’s hull is constructed by pinning together a series of logs and hollowing them out as a unit. Edna has been at CBMM since 1967, and was officially donated in 1973 by John R. Kimberly.
Built: 1889, Tilghman Island, Md., by John B. Harrison
Length: 54 ft, 8 in (16.7 m)
Beam: 17 ft, 2 in (5.24 m)
Martha, 1934 Hoopers Island Dovetail
Martha, known as a Hooper Island draketail because of her unique stern design, was built by Bronza Parks in 1934 and was used for crabbing, oystering, and pleasure. Martha was donated to CBMM in 1989 by Mr. and Mrs. Paul L. Warner.
Built: 1934, Wingate, Md., by Bronza Parks
Length: 43 ft, 0.5 in (13.26 m)
Beam: 8 ft, 3 in (2.53 m)
Old Point, 1909 Crab Dredger
Old Point was one of a fleet of crab dredging boats that operated out of Hampton, Va., at the mouth of the Bay from the 1910s through the 1960s.
In the summer and fall, Old Point carried fish and oysters to packing houses or to market. Old Point’s hull was built the old-fashioned way, hewn from seven pine logs. At that time big logs were hard to get, but watermen still preferred a solid log boat if they could get one. Old Point was donated to CBMM in 1984 by Mr. and Mrs. Richard C. DuPoint.
Built: 1909, Poquoson, VA
Length: 51 ft, 9 in (15.82 m)
Beam: 12 ft, 11 in (3.70 m)
Pot Pie Skiff, 1961
Waterman Lock Brando used this little skiff to catch crabs with a trotline, and perhaps to tong for a few oysters. The boat is steered by a simple mechanism with a stick on the starboard or right side, connected by ropes to the rudder in the stern.
The Pot Pie Skiff is named for the place it was built—a neighborhood called Pot Pie in the town of Wittman, Md. Some also refer to the boat type as a tuck stern skiff, because of the way the back of the boat is tucked up out of the water on each side.
Built: 1961, Wittman MD, by George Jackson
Length: 26 ft (7.92 m)
Beam: 7 ft, 11 in (2.17 m)
Potomac River Dory Boat, 1931
Built by Francis Raymond “Peg Leg” Hayden at Banks O’Dee, Md., the 37-foot “Big Dory” was part of a fleet of boats historically used for tonging oysters in the Chesapeake’s tributaries. It was donated in 1988 by the Calvert Marine Museum.
Built: 1931, Banks O’Dee, MD, by Frances Raymond “Peg Leg” Hayden
Length: 37 ft, 10.5 in (11.31m)
Beam: 12 ft, 7 in (3.87 m)
Rosie Parks, 1955 Skipjack
Rosie Parks, a skipjack, is a representative of Maryland’s state boat and was part of the last commercial fishing fleet under sail in the United States. In 2002, skipjacks were designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of America’s 11 Most Endangered Places. Designed specifically for dredging up the vast quantities of oysters found on the Bay’s floor, only a handful of skipjacks continue to work the Bay. Rosie was purchased by CBMM in 1975.
Built: 1955, Wingate, Md., by Bronza Parks
Length: 51 ft (15.5 m)
Beam: 16 ft, 7 in (5.09 m)
Winnie Estelle, 1920 Buyboat
Winnie Estelle was built in Crisfield, Md., by Noah T. Evans in 1920 and used as a workboat on the lower Chesapeake Bay for more than 50 years, carrying seafood and produce to market across the Chesapeake Bay. Now, it takes students out for educational programming, CBMM guests and private parties out for Miles River cruises, and more. In the 1970s, Winnie operated as an island trader, carrying lumber from Honduras to Belize, and later as a charter boat for divers. In early 2012, Michael Whitehill of Centreville, Md., purchased the boat, which was donated to CBMM in 2014 by an anonymous donor.
Built: 1920, Crisfield or Smith Island, Md., by Noah Evans
Length: 64 ft, 9 in (19.78 m)
Beam: 16 ft, 3 in (4.97 m)
Volunteer, 2002 Replica Smith Island Crab Scraping Boat
Volunteer is a replica of Leon Marsh’s 1990 Smith Island box-stern crab scrape Darlene, as documented in Paula J. Johnson’s book “The Workboats of Smith Island.” Built in 2002 by CBMM boatshop volunteers and staff under the supervision of Tom Howell, the boat was intended for on-water use.
Built: 2002, St. Michaels, Md., by volunteers and staff of the CBMM Shipyard
Length: 29 ft, 4 in (8.96 m)
Beam: 10 ft, 3 in (3.14 m)