Following a historic two-year restoration project, 1889 bugeye Edna Lockwood was relaunched into the Miles River during the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum’s annual OysterFest on Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018.
Edna, queen of CBMM’s floating fleet, spent several years having her nine-log hull completely replaced by CBMM shipwrights and apprentices. All work was done in full public view in St. Michaels, Md., and in adherence to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Vessel Preservation. Shipwright apprentices working on the project were generously supported by the Seip Family Foundation and the RPM Foundation.
Built in 1889 by John B. Harrison on Tilghman Island for Daniel W. Haddaway, Edna Lockwood dredged for oysters through winter, and carried freight—such as lumber, grain, and produce—after the dredging season ended. She worked faithfully for many owners, mainly out of Cambridge, Md., until she stopped “drudging” in 1967. In 1973, Edna was donated to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum by John R. Kimberly. Recognized as the last working oyster boat of her kind, Edna Lockwood was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1994.