The fellas left for the weekend after cutting the chine for each wing log and the next step was to plot out widths at each station line. With these points marked the following task is to run a batten, a thin piece of fiberglass in our case, across these points in order to establish a fair and smooth line. Braving the chill this morning, we got right to it and had the top view of each log cut out by lunch.
With a little help from our friends in the shop, who were remaining close to the wood stove, we were able to carry the wing logs into the corn crib and block them up with their respective garboards. As mentioned in previous posts, the wings are what we cut away from the inside of each garboard. Since the chine dips in the middle of the boat, we were able to use these pieces without having to position each wing so low that we would lose a large amount of material at either end.
She looks like a boat! While there is still a great deal of work to do, the log portion of the hull is almost complete. With the wings blocked appropriately, we will next start to work on cleaning up the surface between each garboard and wing and then scribe the inside of that seam. After that we will be ready to start shaping out the inside of each wing.